2021年9月4日 星期六

[Noun Clauses]Noun Clauses Beginning with That

 Verb + That-Clause


I think that Bob will come.

formal writing

I think Bob will come.

omitted in speaking


agree that

feel that

know that

remember that

believe that

find out that

learn that

say that

decide that

forgot that

notice that

tell someone that

discover that

hear that

promise that

think that

explain that

hope that

read that

understand that


Person + Be + Adjective + That-Clause


Jan is happy (that) Bob called.



I’m afraid that*

AI is certain that

We’re happy that

Jan is sorry that

I’m amazed that

AI is confident that

We’re pleased that

Jan is  sure that

I’m angry that

AI is disappointed that

We’re proud that

Jan is suprised that

I’m aware that

AI is glad that

We’re relieved that

Jan is worried that


(I’m afraid that*) To be afraid has two possible meanings:


  1. It can express fear

    • I’m afraid of digs.

    • I’m afraid that his dog will bite me.


  1. It often expresses a meaning similar to “to be sorry”

    • I’m afraid that I can’t accept your invitation.

    • I’m afraid you have the wrong number.


It+ Be + Adjective + That-Clause


It is clear (that) Ann likes her new job.



It’s amazing that

It’s interesting that

It’s obvious that

It’s true that

It’s clear that

It’s likely that

It’s possible that

It’s undeniable that

It’s good that

It’s lucky that

It’s strange that

It’s well/known that

It’s important that

It’s nice that

It’s surprising that

It’s wonderful that


That-Clause Used as a Subject



That Ann likes her new job is clear.


The fact (that) Ann likes her new job is clear.


It is fact (that) Ann likes her new job is




black book Page 414

common verbs followed by that-clauses

I trust Linda. I believe what she said. I believe she told the truth. (what= the things that)

 

Please tell me what you ate.

Please tell me the things which you ate.

                            s     v         (noun clauses)

                                          o(連)        s     v      (adjective clauses)

 

 


沒有留言:

張貼留言